Friday, January 11, 2013

exploring one's secret sexual persona

In The Dark Garden by Eden Bradley the love interest, Christian Thorne, lays this line on Rowan Cassidy, the protagonist, right before she agrees (reluctantly) to submit to him for 30 days.
There can be part of ourselves that are hidden. Hidden beneath layers of what we think we should be or what others expect from us. Digging down and discovering what lies beneath the surface can be freeing.
I think the more correct model of human personalities and identities is that we possess multiple identities that are contradictory, but true at different times.

While Christian Thorne's line works for seduction purposes, I think Billy Joel's take in "The Stranger" is equally valid.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q6yQ14TGB8U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Once I used to believe I was such a great romancer
Then I came home to a woman I could not recognize
When I pressed her for a reason
She refused to even answer
It was then I felt the stranger kick me right between the eyes
While there is some truth that it's liberating to indulge these alternate personalities, it's also a bunch of other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, provided it's not a commercial link or otherwise inappropriate (like trying to out somebody).