Sunday, May 15, 2011

if you aspire to be good at writing, you need to read

A brief rant: sometimes my screen name leaves it ambiguous as to whether I'm male or female. When a guy hits on me in a clumsy way, I send him to Griff's Cybersex Blog. I figure the guy might learn something. He might find something entertaining. And maybe he'll be impressed by my.

This one guy, don't remember his screen name, said something like, "I don't have time to read."

Umm... if you don't have the time to read, it's pretty unlikely that your writing is going to be any good.

I'm not a great writer. I'm a serviceable blogger and in the top ten percent, maybe even top five percent at cybersex.

But guess what? I've spent significant time reading and writing in my life. If you want to get good at writing, you need to read. Steve Barnes (Wikipedia) had a good suggestion. If you're trying to get good at a type of writing, say cybersex, you should not only read erotica, but you should be reading one level above from where you intent to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, provided it's not a commercial link or otherwise inappropriate (like trying to out somebody).